Computer nightmares & how to avoid them this Halloween
Why was the computer scary? Because it had a Terrorbyte!
OK, joking aside, I know that computers can seem terrifying. “You need to clear your cache, defrag your hard drive and start storing your data in the cloud.” Woah.. hold up…….. what?
Whether you run a small business from home, or have a team of employees, the humble computer is often the hub of your business. How many times has your PC thrown a wobbly and totally ruined your day? Yep, it happens to us all. But your computer doesn’t have to be scary. There are simple steps you can take yourself to tame the beast!
· Install anti-virus/malware software and keep it up to date
· Run regularly scheduled scans with your anti-virus software
· Keep your operating system (Windows, Mac etc) current. OS developers regularly issue security patches to fix and plug security leaks to help keep your system secure.
· Secure your network with a Wi-Fi password
· Do not open an email attachment from somebody you don’t know
· Do not click on a link in an unsolicited email
· Always hover over a link before you click to see where the link is really taking you
· If you need to download a file from the internet, an email, an FTP site or a file-sharing service, be sure to scan it before you run it
· Keep your personal information safe and your identification protected
· Be cautious on social media and don’t give too much information about yourself away and lock down all your privacy settings
· Avoid using your real name or identity on discussion boards
· Don’t use the free, open (no password required, non-encrypted) Wi-Fi in public areas (such as coffee shops)
· Back up your files
· Use multiple strong passwords
If this all still seems too petrifying, why not let me worry about your PC so you don't have to!?
Choose from 3 maintenance plans to find the right level of cover for your usage. I can provide the following services:
· Remote access – with your permission I can connect to your machine to provide quick assistance
· Tech monitoring - to find & fix problems before they happen
· Antivirus cover - to keep your computer safe from harm
· Patch management – to ensure that your machine is updated regularly, plus installation of security patches
I don’t like to brag, BUT…. I do happen to have a 5-star rating on The Best Of St Neots website, based on 232 happy customer reviews. So if you are looking for someone completely awesome to look after your computer, give me a call 07563 441261
Have you ever had any computer nightmares? Have you lost precious work time to bugs and rogue updates? I would love to hear from you! Tweet your stories to @ShaunPrincePC